| Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis and Epilepsy |
Answered by: Susan Eagles
Question from: Tonya
Posted on: February 10, 1999
I would like to know what kind of herbs would be helpful to me. I need to let you know that I have kidney failure, currently on peritoneal dialysis. I also have Lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, and epilepsy. I am currently taking 2 prescribed medications. For my lupus, hydroxychloroquine and for my epilepsy, phenobarbital.
Since phenobarbital can cause kidney failure and liver disease, you may want to work with your doctor to see if he can prescribe an alternate drug for epilepsy that is more gentle. Hydroxychloroquine can also cause liver damage.
Milk Thistle is the best liver protective herb, producing new liver cells to replace the old.
It is important to support the heart and circulation, which are strained in both Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis. Hawthorn is called "the mother of the heart" for its ability to strengthen the heart muscle and increase blood flow to the heart.
In your diet, you can decrease inflammation by avoiding foods that cause it:
* Red meat (beef, lamb and pork)
* Processed meat products: hamburgers, ham, bacon, sausages, preserved meat and offal
* Dairy products: milk, cheese, butter, cream; Goat’s milk products are a good substitute
* Acid fruits: oranges, berries, rhubarb, gooseberries
* Acid vegetables: tomatoes, spinach
* White flour products: white bread, cakes, cookies.
* Margarine and all processed fats
* Vinegar products (except apple cider vinegar): e.g. pickled foods
* Processed and tinned foods
* Salt and salty food
* Tea, coffee, alcohol, cigarettes
* Sugar and artificial sweeteners. Use honey or maple syrup instead
* Eggs, chocolate and peanuts are often involved in food allergies
* Oranges, lemons, limes and grapefruits should be kept to a minimum, as they may cause allergies
Foods that help to eliminate toxins and build body cells are:
* Fresh fruit and vegetables, organic if possible, especially apple, pineapple, cherries, figs and green vegetables
* Oily fish, for example salmon, tuna, trout, herring, cod, sardines
* Free range chicken and turkey
* Soya milk, soya cheese and yogurt
* Parsley, celery, garlic and onions
* Wholegrain cereals: e.g. whole wheat bread, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, oats
* Pulses: e.g. lentils, peas, beans, barley Nuts especially almonds
* Seeds e.g. sesame, sunflower and pumpkin; A small handful a day of pumpkin seeds provides bode building minerals better than zinc, magnesium and boron supplements
* Extra virgin olive oil
Drink about 4 litres of fluid a day as water, fruit juices and herbal teas. This helps to dilute and flush out toxins. Linden flower tea, which helps the circulation and dandelion "coffee" which support the liver, digestion and elimination, are especial ly recommended.
You want to avoid interfering with your sedating epilepsy medication by avoiding herbs that are either sedative or stimulating.
For more information, please go to our website at http://www.richters.com. Choose "Q&A", then choose "Search Richters Q and A" then enter the word "lupus" for the search. You can perform additional searches for "arthritis" and "milk thistle".