| || || |
| Fibromyalgia |
Answered by: Susan Eagles
Question from: Name not given
Posted on: February 21, 1999
Is there any thing that will help with fibromyalgia?
Fibromyalgia is characterized by tender, aching muscles, joint pain similar to rheumatoid arthritis, fatigue and sleep disturbances. The areas affected are typically the neck, shoulders, lower back, chest and thighs. Depression is often a feature, due to lack of sleep. It is considered to be a form of chronic fatigue syndrome, with pain rather than fatigue as the dominant feature. The cause may be viral or a build up of toxins. Food, drugs, allergies and nutritional deficiencies may be involved. Neither the cause or the cure are well understood.
Recommended treatment is usually multi-faceted, working to optimize health and immunity. As well as herbs, the following are involved: gentle exercise and massage to stimulate lymphatic drainage, adequate rest, elimination of major stresses with the help of counselling and relaxation techniques, a healthy diet with an emphasis on fresh fruit and vegetables and vitamins to stimulate the immune system.
The diet should include only whole, unprocessed foods, possibly with a little chicken or fish. Sugar, chocolate, coffee, food additives, alcohol and any allergic foods should be eliminated.
Detoxifying the system has a major effect in optimizing health and immunity. Herbs for detoxification are:
* Milk thistle supports the liver to effectively process toxins for elimination.
* Dandelion root stimulates the bile required for digestion
* Licorice protects the liver, increases digestive juices and is anti-inflammatory
* Dandelion leaf encourages elimination by the kidneys
* Oregon grape (Berberis aquifolium) is a blood cleanser
Other helpful herbs are:
* Echinacea and astragalus regulate the immune system.
* Valerian and passionflower are sedating and relax the muscles.
* St. John’s Wort is an anti-depressant.
* Evening Primrose Oil improves muscle weakness, helps to relieve depression and supports the liver.
* Vitamins A, C and E are anti-oxidant.