| || || |
| Alternatives to Tamoxifen in Breast Cancer? |
Answered by: Susan Eagles
Question from: Sue
Posted on: April 29, 2005
I am looking for a replacement herb for tamoxifen. I have breast cancer and I am starting radiation today. I don’t want to take tamoxifen because of all the horrible side effects. Please let me know what else I can take instead.
Tamoxifen is the commonly prescribed hormone for preventing recurrence of breast cancer. For alternatives, I recommend Susun Weed’s book "Breast Cancer? Breast Health!" (Ash Tree Publishing). Susun lists steps or alternatives for all stages of breast cancer in order of their invasiveness. She gives references for further information on each option. For complete information on each step, on the wider context of breast cancer prevention and supportive information on each alternative, including radiation therapy, I suggest that you read the book.
To prevent recurrence of breast cancer, some of Susun’s suggestions include:
* energy work including visualization, prayer, affirmation and meditation;
* foods that help prevent recurrence: apples, burdock, carrots, dark leafy greens, dried beans, garlic, kelp, soy products, sweet potatoes and wild mushrooms
* nourishing and tonifying herbs: Echinacea, astragalus, stinging nettles, red clover, alfalfa
* elimination of saturated and unsaturated fat from the diet
* turmeric as an antioxidant, liver protector
* prevent weight gain
* breast massage with lavender essential oil in a carrier vegetable oil
* supplements: beta carotene, coenzyme Q10, germanium, vitamins A,C and E. Susun gives suggested doses for these, as well as the risks of overdosing on supplements.